The Appeal's 2nd week on the best-seller list

The Appeal's 2nd week on the best-seller list

John Grisham’s new legal thriller, “The Appeal,” entered the fiction list at No. 1, bumping aside Stephen King’s “Duma Key,” which sat in the spot for one week. This week he continues to hold the #1 position on The New York Times’ best-selling fiction list.

The New York Times top 5 best-sellers (fiction)
1. “The Appeal”, by John Grisham
2. “Duma Key”, by Stephen King
3. “Plum Lucky”, by Janet Evanovich
4. “Sizzle and Burn”, by Jayne Ann Krentz
5. “A Thousand Splendid Suns”, by Khaled Hosseini

Sources: The New York Times, The NY Times Best Sellers

• February 22, 2008 at 1:38 AM debbie

This book sucked and I want my money back!!

• February 22, 2008 at 4:35 PM Janice

Loved The Appeal – thank you John Grisham – although a work of fiction, there is enough truth in it to keep us all awake to how the system works and what needs to be fixed… great book!!

• February 26, 2008 at 1:02 PM Deb

I have eagerly awaited the publishing of a new John Grisham legal thriller and have been a true-blue fan for years. However, I must say that “The Appeal” truly was a disappointment. The writing is in fine Grisham style and keeps the reader’s attention. It is the ending that really leaves you with a hallow and depressed feeling. I would hesitate before I read another Grisham novel. Sadly disappointed.

• February 27, 2008 at 2:51 PM Karen Schenk

I enjoyed the book but was unhappy with the ending. it did make me think more about Missouri trying to change the way our judges are chosen.

• February 27, 2008 at 10:56 PM Trina

I enjoyed reading the book. It was frustrating and maddening in the same way that The Rainmaker was rather the page-flipping thriller like A Time to Kill, The Firm and The Client. I’ll have to say I was disappointed in the ending although it is probably more true to life than John’s usual “David defeating Goliath” ending.

• March 18, 2008 at 7:34 PM Judy

The Appeal is ripe for a sequel. After wading through the injustice, I want justice for the town and Trudeau to drink the water.

• April 6, 2008 at 6:08 PM Richard

The Appeal was not up to the standards we have come to expect from the master legal writer. I see the reason for the ending, but a novel should contain some degree of uplift and justice, not a sinking ship of despair. Fisk was painted to be the honorable man, and should have come to grips independently with what put him in the position he held. Also disturbing was some poor editing, the many SPLIT INFINITIVES, wrong pronoun-verb agreement and the extreme complication of sub-plots
    I am still a fan but hope for better work next time!