John Grisham's new legal thriller "The Associate" will be published on Jan 27, 2009!

“The Associate” is a 384-page legal thriller written by American author John Grisham. 2.8 million copies of the book will be released in the United States by Doubleday on January 27, 2009. “The Associate” will be Grisham’s 22nd novel. Doubleday says the first printing is 2.8 million copies.

Kyle McAvoy is one of the outstanding legal students of his generation: he’s good looking, has a brilliant mind and a glittering future ahead of him. But he has a secret from his past, a secret that threatens to destroy his fledgling career and, possibly, his entire life.

Read more about The Associate
Pre-order Grisham’s new legal thriller The Associate now!

• September 8, 2008 at 8:31 AM Hugh Jazz

Hey John, You the man!!! I am a proud dad, baseball coach, hockey coach, and a psychologist. I love your books and I can’t wait until The Associate come out. By the way, I enjoyed the movie Mickey and I am really hoping my son makes 9 year old all stars next year. We actually won the city championship for in the 7,8, and 9 year old division last season. He is a very good pitcher, yet his batting is average to high average. I have been coaching my son’s baseball teams since he was 5 years old in tee-ball. It has been a wonderful ride and I don’t want it to end. Your movie Mickey really connected with me. The best scene was the draft scene. As a coach I have attended numerous drafts and your depiction was humorous and right-on-the-money. Keep the pen flowing. You ought to do a book signing in New England. You have lots of fans up here.
    All the best, Hugh

• November 24, 2008 at 10:13 AM shawne h

I LOVE YOUR BOOKS AND I HAVE READ ALL OF THEM. I WAS WONDERING WHEN YOU ALL WERE GOING TO MAKE A MOVIE OUT OF THE PARTNER. WONDERFUL CHOICE FOR A PROJECT. CANT WAIT UNTIL IT COMES OUT. THANK YOU FOR ALL THE GREAT BOOKS.
    SHAWNE

• November 25, 2008 at 2:15 PM Margaret Blue

As always, awaiting release of your next novel, Jan 27th. I enjoy the settings, characters, etc as I also enjoy Fannie Flagg, Jan Karon and David Baldacci.

Any thoughts on writng on a person who seems to be always forgotten in a courtroom, but who sees all and always a constant……“The Bailiff”?Could be a great story there for you, John.

• November 26, 2008 at 9:35 AM karol

i love all his books keep with the good work.God bless you.au revoir

• November 29, 2008 at 4:11 AM Samer Arris

The one and only thing, which I hate about a new book by John Grisham is the fact that you wait long enough for it to come out. Then three days later, you would have read it and will have to wait for another year or more for another new one! I find myself reading some of the old books again.

This is how great you are and may God bless you and give you the health to write more books.

I cannot wait, until “The Associate” is out.

• January 7, 2009 at 1:38 AM Sanjna

when does it release in india? 🙁

• January 18, 2009 at 10:51 AM Billy

i have all his 22 books and looking forward to have his 23rd. love all his books

• January 30, 2009 at 3:50 PM Trevor dee

Just finished reading The Associate. It is vintage Grisham, although the plot was a bit far-fetched IMHO. Great page-turner and good read nonetheless.

I did appreciate the fact that John did not try to tie all ends— as some popular writers are wont to do.

• February 3, 2009 at 11:34 AM DS

Just read your new book The Associate which I enjoyed alot. I have read all your books and the only one I found disappointing was your last one, The Appeal, where you let the bad guys win — we know that happens in real life but can’t we get a break in fiction?

• February 4, 2009 at 5:44 AM Hari Nair

Hi
    I just picked up my copy, Hmmmm!!!!!

• February 20, 2009 at 11:46 PM Lise Maggio

The Associate
    I have to say that I would have preferred some loose ends tied up.
    The entire time I was reading this book my mind came up with other rational behind the plot. Maybe this firm hired Benny to see if their own scene was truly impenetratable; maybe another firm was trying to steal the client by proving the current firm was unable to protect their files….etc etc.
    and I wanted an answer.
    where were you when I needed you.

• February 23, 2009 at 9:32 PM Brian

Savage writer, no more needs to be said. There is a reason he is selling so many books!

• March 6, 2009 at 6:23 PM William Young Boyd II

I found this novel very disappointing. It purports to be a mystery, which it is and a real page-turner. However, the novel never solves the mystery and leaves the reader wondering what it was all about. It is a mystry which ends without a solution.

William Y. Boyd

• March 10, 2009 at 2:58 PM Jason Magnus

I noticed a mistake in my print. During a conversation the character Baxter Tate has with Brother Manny, Grisham refers to Baxter as Kyle. Pretty bad miss by the editors.

Overall this book seemd lazy. There really wasnt much of a mystery because not only wasnt it solved, but no good theories were even explored. The book just kind of ended. He introduced characters that had little to nothing to do with the mystery.

It seemed like this book was basically just to show how bad it is working for a mega-firm. More of a tell all. Worst book I have read in awhile.

• March 12, 2009 at 2:09 PM Roland Bellman

Has anyone else noticed the typo on page 177 of the hardcover edition of “The Associate?”

It reads, “…after fifteen minutes together, Kyle felt…” during a conversation between Baxter and Brother Manny. Obviously the passage that is quoted above should have Baxter’s name where Kyle’s name appears erroneously. It’s surprising that no one caught this during editing, because Kyle’s name has no reason or purpose for being there. Any comments from Mr. Grisham or management?

• March 15, 2009 at 2:15 PM Chris

I thought I was mixed up when I read the name “Kyle” on page 177. I was sure Brother Manny was talking to Baxter Tate. Sure enough, it’s a typo! Funny that no one caught it before printing.

• March 17, 2009 at 11:18 PM C.B.

About the only thing we really know is that the bad guys win again! Perhaps, Kyle and Scott Turow’s Mack Malloy are practicing together at Malloy & McAvoy in C. Luan. Maybe Dale and Brushy are hanging out at the beach. Who knows? We don’t even know if Kyle was a bad guy? He did hire a criminal defense attorney after all. I agree with Lise (above) and William (above); Grisham probably could have given us a little more. Nevertheless, I am looking for bugs and using snail mail a little more.

• March 20, 2009 at 6:24 PM maria

I just finished reading the new novel “ The Associate “ and I loved the entire story until I got to the ending. I was dissapointed, you never found out who benny was, who he worked for, what happended with him. No loose ends ends were tied up ? However this won’t stop me from reading another john grisham novel 🙂

• March 21, 2009 at 7:03 AM MMT

I’ve just finished reading “The Associate”. I must admit that the ending was disappointing. It seems that the author was either rushed into finishing the book (publisher deadline!) and as such he wrapped-up the story leaving so many loose ends, or simply that he has lost his touch!

Could it be that this book is “Volume 1 of 2”…:)

• March 24, 2009 at 4:58 PM ss

The Associate would have been a great book if it had a real ending. As said in other comments, the end was very abrupt. I certainly hope there’s a part two because I would definately buy it!

• March 26, 2009 at 12:19 PM Chris

I just finished The Associate. A page turner for sure. However, is there an addendum with an ending somewhere? I really can’t wait to see how it ends!

• March 26, 2009 at 1:29 PM Trevor

Could somebody list the categories of costs a plaintiff can claim eg.pain, suffering and inconvenience. They are usually mentioned at the end of John Grisham’s winning trials.

many thanks

Trevor.

• March 26, 2009 at 2:09 PM Kathi

The book was quite intriguing until the end. Then it just ended with a lot of unanswered questions. Where are Benny and Nigel? Who did they work for? Who was the other spy inside the law firm? Is Kyle going to be okay?

I hope Grisham is planning a sequel to this to satisfy the reader’s curiosity. There is certainly enough material for one.

And yes, I caught the typo too.

• April 2, 2009 at 12:58 PM Mike Spurlock

Disappointing. Glad I only paid $17 at Sams club.
    I have read every Grisham novel, and usually enjoy them very much. This disappoints on many levels, probably because no one has it in them to feel sorry for “abused” rookie lawyers that only make $200k. Also, it skimps on supporting character development and leaves too much unanswered or unexplored.
    I won’t quit reading Grisham, but I sure hope this is an anomaly and not a sign of things to come. This could be a ghost writer…

• April 9, 2009 at 3:08 PM Steve Brockman

I really enjoyed the Associate in the way the story was being crafted. Plenty of twist and turns, multiple story lines, and great characters. It was really building to a crescendo but I kept noticing I was running out of pages. What happened, did you decide the story was just over? I can see leaving some things open ended but the entire story? I’m not only disappointed, i feel like I wasted my time reading the novel with no end.

• May 4, 2009 at 5:12 PM Tammy

Okay the book is good until the end. Why would a great writer like Mr. Grisham leave a weak ending on a decent book.Please, I had aready thought of 3 different endings with such a dramatic conclusion. Mr. Grisham have you been pressed for a due date by your publisher.Have your friends that read your script stop giving you their honest opinion.I am an avid reader of your books and please don’t think I didn’t enjoy your book… It’s well you know.

• June 8, 2009 at 7:05 PM DEB

The ending SUCKED
    I was hoping that the Firm was in on it or something very disappointing

• June 9, 2009 at 7:44 PM Dave

I too thought this book was an entertaining read throughout, but the ending was dissapointing at best. The past several Grisham books have been this way…great books to pass time on airplanes, but they don’t have any bite at the end. I will definately continue to buy his books, but hope he redeems himself on the next one. I hate investing time into a book and then walking away with so many loose ends.

• June 23, 2009 at 4:22 PM Vincent Van Bramer

To all the readers of John Grisham’s “The Associate” who were disappointed with the ending: I do not recommend “The Lady or the Tiger”.

• September 7, 2009 at 11:23 AM Sherman Burlingame

John, I really enjoy your novels, but the ending to this one, The Associate, sucked. Seems like you got lazy and wanted to end it soon. Try for a better ending!!

• September 18, 2009 at 2:14 PM Najiyyah Duncan

I am SO looking forward to the release of ‘Ford County.’ And, since I’m addicted to Grisham’s books, and happy with my addiction, I am hoping that someday he will write a sequel to ‘A Painted House,’ my all time favorite.

• October 17, 2009 at 10:22 PM Pete Vannoord

I am busy reading the Associate. There is one section in the book where Baxter Tate has just checked out of the rehab centre and is getting a tour of the Village of Hope and chatting with its founder Brother Manny.

Here is a direct quote from the book – Page 177 – “Brother Manny issued the questions and absorbed the answers with such ease that after fifteen minutes together, Kyle felt as though he could chat for hours and tell him everthing.” (end of quote)

I am confused. Here is the question. How did Kyle get into the picture? Was the session not with Baxter? Was Kyle not in New York working in his new position with Scully anad Pershing?

Am I missing something?

• October 23, 2009 at 8:05 PM CDan

The Associate – More about associates’ lives in mega law firms. Less about story.

Worse than the Typical John Grisham ending.
    Predicted it the 1st time Kyle sees the video(spoiler- that he’d chalk a plan & somehow in the end it won’t work).

I’ve read all his books
    & his books(formerly thrillers) are gradually turning into DOCUMENTARIES on American Law & Life.(except for the novellas ‘playing for pizza’, ‘bleachers’…etc)

I really miss his storytelling.

If realistic endings indicate the maturity of an author, then damn! I wish he would stay immature & raw.

Anyway the writing’s trademark Grisham style
    but the pace is slow.
    And that Ending, justified that that’s how things turn out, though doesn’t justify the need of the book’s entire narrative culminating to that ‘no point’.

Wasn’t even satirical like most Grishams.
    Was simply loose.

Miss the likes of The Rainmaker, The Street Lawyer etc.

Waiting for his next Novella
    Hope he doesn’t start disappointing in that department too..

• October 25, 2009 at 12:50 PM trish giordano

just read the associate while recuperating from pneumonia and thoroughly enjoyed it…..til the end…..what happened?
    i like an ending!…..why did bennie leave the hotel room? who was or were the other spy/spies in the law firm?….john! you let us down!

• October 30, 2009 at 5:12 PM Ness

Just finished reading and yes a very disappointing ending. The rest was the usual good stuff though.

• November 6, 2009 at 6:35 PM Taka

Very disappointed by the ending….
    I enjoyed the rest of the book, though.

• November 7, 2009 at 6:20 PM Brian

Just finished and like most other comments did not like the ending. My only guess is that there will be a sequel and all the characters are brought back together again plus a few new folks.

• November 25, 2009 at 8:04 AM John

Also very disappointed in the ending. Too anticlimactic. Not enough revelation or resolution. Glad I only paid $7 at wal mart.

• December 18, 2009 at 5:00 AM Ken

This book was not one of John’s best. This book has, I think…..41 chapters……the first forty were very entertaining……kept me interested…….but man…..when you hit chapter 41……it tanks! The ending is lame and to tell the truth is not believable. I am not sure a sequal could save this book. I believe I could have written a better….more believable ending….it at least needed some sort of twist…..or some conclusion….having no resolution……Kyle’s actions in chapter 41 are simply not believable.
    Very Disappointed! Leave this one on the shelf!

• December 20, 2009 at 6:08 PM Fred

Very disappointing book. It takes very long before we get to the real story and the end is terrible.
    We have been used to better from Mr Grisham.
    Last one for me.
    Do not buy this one.

• December 28, 2009 at 7:42 PM Leeza Holi

Dear John,

You are truly the best writer of all times. I enjoy reading your books. Keep them coming.

• December 30, 2009 at 8:20 PM Peter

I wished to write to let you know that I enjoyed your book immensely.

I have one question. With regard to the issue of the video of the incident in the apartment at Duquesne. There wasn’t an explanation of where the video came from or how Benny came to be in possession of it. Mid way through the book I suspected that Baxter took the recording and that one of Baxter’s family or associates got hold of it from Baxter’s phone (as the phone was described as state of the art). Was there any plan in the plot to include who was responsible for the video and how Benny came into possession of it?

I wish you well for the future and I have enjoyed many of your books and look to enjoy more in the future.

• January 10, 2010 at 12:23 AM David

It was a very good book up until the end. I felt it left too many unanswered questions – who was Bennie? How far had he infiltrated the law firm? Apparently one of the partners (or more) was involved. Which one(s) and why? Had Bennie also had spies in the government and that’s why he knew the FBI had been called, or did he have a closer eye on Kyle than was realized? These were some major questions left unanswered.

• January 11, 2010 at 10:15 AM Adele

I too was quite surprised at the typo in chapter 18. That’s really pathetic coming from a Grisham novel. The book certainly was entertaining but I’m not so sure about the ending. I think the authors only obligation is to entertain and not necessarily tie up all the loose ends. I would have liked to see a tidier ending but still have to say I enjoyed it for the most part. Doubt there will be a sequel.

• January 12, 2010 at 1:26 PM Cathy

You don’t hunt deer on Thanksgiving morning in Pennsylvania, even on private land. The first day of buck season in the Monday after Thanksgiving. It should be declared a statewide holiday since so many people don’t go to work. That’s one problem with the book.
    I agree what most others are saying about the ending. Disappointing and leaving too many unanswered questions. Who did Bennie work for and who was responsible for the video?
    All in all it’s an enjoyable story but could have been better.

• February 3, 2010 at 5:14 AM David

I’m a reader from Australia. I’ve read all of Michael Connelly’s books and this was my first Grisham book. Unless he publishes an ending, I will not be reading another. It was quite an enjoyable read until the finish. What was he thinking?

• March 25, 2010 at 10:25 PM Alan

I concur with all the others who loved The Assoicate, that is until the end. There are easily enough loose ends to make a heck of a sequel. Bennie has to come gunning for Kyle; Kyle has to become a “street lawyer” and we need to know what happens to him and Dale. What about the deal his dad cut to pay off the girl at the heart of the video. And his dad seems like a grand character all by himself.

Come on John; don’t leave us hanging here! Demille should have quit before he wrote The Gate House; you, on the other hand, have good reason to write the sequel.