Grisham's new book "Playing for Pizza" will be published in September 2007

Grisham's new book "Playing for Pizza" will be published in September 2007

John Grisham is setting his next book in Italy. “Playing for Pizza,” the story of an American quarterback trying his luck in Italy, will come out in September 2007, the Doubleday Broadway Publishing Group announced Thursday. The book will be published simultaneously by Doubleday in the US and Century in the UK.

“One of the many joys of working with John is the element of surprise,” Doubleday publisher Stephen Rubin said in a statement. “Who would have thought that the master of the legal thriller would write a novel about cotton farming (‘A Painted House’) or a novel about the excesses of Christmas? (‘Skipping Christmas’) Now, John pulls another rabbit out of his endless supply of hats with ‘Playing for Pizza,’ a romp about a fish out of water that had me laughing out loud.”

“Playing for Pizza” is a short novel about a fallen American football star who can no longer get work in the National Football League and whose agent, as a last resort, signs a deal for him to play for the Parma Panthers, in Parma, Italy. The quarterback’s move to a small city in a foreign land leads to a series of cultural misadventures. The idea for the novel grew out of time Grisham spent in Italy researching his novel, The Broker, which was set in Bologna.

“I was pleasantly surprised to find real American football in Italy,” says Grisham, “and as I dug deeper a novel came together. The research was tough – food, wine, opera, football, Italian culture – but someone had to do it.”

Playing for Pizza will be published as a Century hardback on September 25th with an Arrow paperback the following year.

Sources: MSN News, PR Newswire

• September 4, 2007 at 6:37 PM Steve Gingerich

FINALLY!!! I have been looking forward to something new for a while now! The thing about Mr. Grisham is, the longer the wait, the better the book! Thanks!!

• September 5, 2007 at 1:39 PM barbara

I am looking forward to the new adventure. I enjoyed Skipping Christmas so much I read it two times, an laughed as I did the first time.

• September 10, 2007 at 5:02 PM Leslie

Grisham, favorite author and football, favorite sport – who could ask for anything more – can’t wait!

• September 14, 2007 at 11:04 PM thomas

Loved all of John Grisham’s books. Looking forward to this one. I prefer the legal thrillers though. Hope he has one soon.

• September 24, 2007 at 3:00 PM Alegerbi

Grandi Panthers!!!!

• September 29, 2007 at 12:09 AM Erinrae O'Connell

I just got this book and am excited to read it. I also told my best friend David about it.

• October 9, 2007 at 11:35 AM Jim Matthews

“Playing for Pizza” is one of the best books I have read in a long time. Although not truly a comedy, this book had me chuckling and laughing throughout. As a Philadelphia native, the comment about booing in the opera really struck home to me. Are Philadelphia fans that bad?

• October 21, 2007 at 1:10 AM Nemo

Both my parents and my teachers love John Grisham books. They both suggested I read “Playing for Pizza.” So far I am loving the book to such an extent, I cannot put it down! This book is perfect for football season! This book makes several comments on high school football, which reminds me: GO BCP BRONCOS!

• November 15, 2007 at 1:24 AM Gregorio Rodriguez

Being from Texas, coaching High School Football, favorite author John Grisham, It doesn’t get any better than “Playing for Pizza”. Thank You for such a wonderful story. I couldnt put it down.

• November 24, 2007 at 10:23 AM Sven Emberg

As I read the French translation I couldn’t understand how John Grisham could take you down and down relentlessly before the final turnaround. I found at the end that he’d had no choice as it was true. I hadn’t read the jacket and didn’t know. A great book but the scale of injustice that it illustrates in the US is such that I will never set foot there again.

• November 29, 2007 at 8:14 AM Dr.Sucharitha

well, am waiting to get this book after reading posted reviews.thnx

• December 4, 2007 at 5:55 AM Graziana Nicodemo

I live in Parma and I know the real american coach of the Panter’s team…..It’s wonderful to find out what are the reactions of Americans towards our culture, food, cars etc…..come to Parma, it’s worth a visit!!!!!!

• December 21, 2007 at 6:20 PM Gianni

I love Grisham…and even if i live it Italy i love Football….just the perfect book……i finished it in 2 days!!!…Great book!!

• December 22, 2007 at 9:53 AM Rachel

Anything by Mr Grisham is good to me…cant wait to add this one to my collection. I just love him.

• June 19, 2008 at 5:40 AM catherine

i love john’s legal thrillers. They are out of the world expereince.
    I love he describes everything . Playing for pizza is a kinda makining us aware for italian culture and i really like the parmesan cheese section.. though i have read only few pages but undoutedly impresses and waiting for more upcoming thril..

• August 9, 2008 at 6:52 AM Ryan

I have read some of Grisham, but found the characters and situations unauthentic. However, with Rick, Playing for Pizza hits the spot. After playing QB at University of Kentucky, I played in Germany in 1993 and later coached there from 1998 to 2001. Grisham neither glamorizes nor demeans American Football in Europe. Further, the characters are not the usual cliches I have found in his other novels. This novel actually brought me to tears and had me laughing aloud. Bravo!

• September 22, 2008 at 11:55 AM Chris

Playing for Pizza is a great book. I enjoyed reading this book it took me about three weeks to read it. John Grisham is my favorite author.

• September 8, 2009 at 4:33 AM rajat

i have read ur books bt dat really carry sense i suppose dat u shud read it alonend thaen must say something u damn shitter panchod………

• December 15, 2009 at 10:35 PM Kalyn Kolls

Looks Like A Good Book.

• March 16, 2010 at 1:52 PM James Graham

Great book! I really could connect and see what it’s like to be in the same shoes in a way. Look foward to read more of your books.